- North and south Korea re-united.
- The pregeometry GUT of Pravin Varaiya unites quantum mechanics
and relativity theory. The complex theory predicts antigravity and
a whole host of new phenomena.
- Antigravity is first demonstrated at CERN.
The Israeli shekel goes through the floor due to international currency
speculations; this causes escalating unrest in Israel.
The Israeli situation worsens, and different groups are pitted against
each other by the economic crisis. The Israeli government declines
international help despite the fact that it is loosing control over
the situation. The fighting spills over into Jordan and Lebanon,
and UN forces are sent in to prevent further spread. During the
next decade the whole region remains a chaotic, low-level civil
war with no clear divisions, causing a drain on UN resources and
prestige. The surrounding nations strengthen their borders to
prevent the unrest and refugees from spreading.
The greenhouse effect is beginning to become obvious. French winemakers
- The first manned expedition to Mars is undertaken by NASA. Widely
regarded as a huge waste of money, but it produces important planetological
- Fusion is achieved using antigravity at Tsukuba University in
Japan. China has become the world's largest industrial nation but
is plagued by acute energy shortages and severe pollution.
- China and Japan initiates a program to build fusion reactors
to solve their energy problems. Since the reactors need He3, they
plan to mine the moon for it and begins to build an industrial
- The year of the weather disasters: the Monsoon is disrupted,
immense flooding in India and south-east Asia (causing refugee
disasters in Bangladesh and India), severe hurricanes damage
Florida and the Netherlands, drought in the Midwest and a general
shift of climate.
- China and Japan opens their first joint space station and
quickly moves on to build their moon base.
The US and EU begin a competing project to achieve economical
fusion power. The physicist Donald Guest at MIT postulates
a way to achieve FTL using the GUT.
- The Asian moon base starts to deliver He3 to earth. Invasion of
boat-refugees in northern Australia from Indonesia and India.
- The dustbowl spreads in the American Midwest. Microsoft markets the
first AI program for personal use.
The euro-american moon base is built. Saudi Arabia demonstrates
the first antigravity propelled spacecraft, Staff of Raphael,
and initiates a record breaking space program. The university of
Riyadh becomes the world's leading center for antigravity engineering.
Russia joins the EU through the treaty of Minsk.
- Several permanent space colonies, mostly involved in helium
extraction and transport, biotechnological engineering (due to
safety restrictions) and communication. Genetic engineering used
more and more by Asian parents to have healthy and promising
- Manned expedition to the asteroid belt. Growing environmental
problems mainly in the third world but also globally; the desertification
of the Amazon basin appears impossible to stop despite international
support, and the political instability in the region is growing. The
DELTA-virus discovered in Indonesia.
- Biosphere III, the first ecologically self-sufficient habitat in
space, built by EU-USA.
Solar energy satellites are used more for space energy production and
power distribution in some regions.
- Worldwide DELTA pandemic; modern communications makes the
spread very fast. While the virus mainly kills in the third world,
it hits the developed nations severely and strains the medical
system. At least a hundred million people dies. The idea of
space colonies as a way of limiting risks for similar disasters
becomes fashionable, and many groups began to invest in space
colonies. The start of the South American Anarchy; during the
next decade most of the states in the region break down due
to the ecological disasters, refugee problems and economic
- The Saudi probe Wave of Gabriel demonstrates FTL.
The Guest-Asali drive is developed. Ecotechnology is becoming
one of the larger fields of business on Earth.
- Hans Willmott produces the first macroscopic quantities of
antimatter at the Dirac research laboratory at L5. A tactical
nuclear weapon devastates Jerusalem.
- Antimatter propulsion developed independently by several
research teams. The first working prototype is demonstrated
in June 2030 by the Todai-group. Antimatter catalyzed fusion and fission
becomes economically interesting. The habitat later renamed
the Academy is built in geosynchronous orbit above Europe.
- The first antimatter accident: 10 persons killed when an
antimatter production plant at L5 explodes.
- The first large scale antimatter manufacturing plant built
in solar orbit by Look Outward Combine. It is soon followed by
- Manned expeditions using antimatter-propelled ships to the
various bodies of the solar system. Asteroid bases and habitats
are being developed. The first experimental manned FTL flight
- Autoevolving computer viruses emerge on the information
networks, rendering most of the networks on Earth and around it
unusable. This is the start of the Information Disaster; during
the next 3 years over one billion people die due to hunger,
accidents or epidemics on or around Earth as world economics
and technology breaks down. The lunar bases, Lagrange habitats and
asteroid bases are instrumental in the restoration.
- National boundaries practically irrelevant; cultural
groupings and transnational organizations dominate. Most
nations reduced to managing the local infrastructure except
for some isolationist states outside the mainstream and regions
in anarchy. Several space habitats de facto independent political
entities. In a series of groundbreaking treaties the
International Crisis Command is set up based on the global
rescue organization evolved during the Disaster; it is intended
to be activated during global crises which threaten the
survival of humanity.
The severe environmental problems after the
Disaster causes large loss of arable land.
Hydroponic or space farming becomes economical in many regions.
- The international probe SLIP (SuperLuminal Interstellar
Probe) visits Alpha Centauri and returns after having found a
terraformable planet, which is named Yi. The SLIP-series of
probes are sent to the neighboring solar systems during the
next 10 years. The central asian conflict, which began before
the Information Disaster and has grown increasingly bitter,
escalates as bioweapons are used against the Mongols. Strong
international interventions occur, but the region remains
unstable for the next 20 years, requiring international
- Manned expedition to Alpha Centauri. A research station is
set up on Yi and a soliton channel opened. A terrorist attack
using antimatter against Beijing kills 230,000 people. Experimental
terraforming of Mars initiated.
- After the Beijing-incident an international treaty
of antimatter safety, control and supervision is developed and signed
in New Pensylvania. Use of antimatter on planetary surfaces is
forbidden, and the antimatter containment systems have to be approved
by the International Antimatter Engineering Organisation (IAEO).
Working nanotechnology demonstrated by Merkle Corporation (later
re-named Nanotech Enterprises).
- Dauer-treatment against aging tested. The side effects makes
it unpopular, but some individuals use it.
- Colonies moved to Yi and the terraforming begins; this
marks the start of the expansion out from the solar system.
The first wave consists of researchers, explorers and surveyors,
later followed by colonists. Many people regard leaving Earth
as desirable out of fear for disasters, epidemics and wars.
The first projects are international projects supported by
both Asia, the West and the Arab nations, but later efforts
are more and more individual.
- Eden, Delta Pavonis II, discovered by the Arabian
expedition Ibn Batuta and causes sensation. It is
the first life-bearing planet discovered. A research base
is quickly set up.
- The Raddison-treaty on non-contamination of alien
biospheres is signed. All cross-contamination of existing
biospheres is forbidden.
- The US begins the terraforming of New Frontier (Tau Ceti III)
despite warnings from the International Planetographic Union.
- Inferno (Beta Hydri I) and Sierra (Zeta Tucanae III)
are discovered by Arabian and American probes.
- Widespread riots in the old refugee camps in the American
south (which has turned into a permanent slum). Senator Jonathan
Hessligh initiates a program for re-localization of the refugees
to New Frontier. The results are not very successful.
- Barnard's star emerges as a growing economical center for extraction
of rare earth metals and antigravity engineering.
- The Australian government begins to subsidize space evacuation of
citizens due to the environmental problems. A Mars base, New Canberra
is set up.
- Ice (Alpha Mensae II) is discovered by an expedition from the
International Planetographic Union.
The colonization of Ishmael (DM+46 1797 V-III), a moon to the gas giant
Abraham, begins. Advanced mining, habitat engineering and energy
production makes Ishmael an important crossroad for colonization in
the second and third octant.
- Colonies exist up to 20 light years away from the sun, and expeditions
more than 30 light-years away. Methods for "quick-colonization" developed,
millions of people move from the solar system to the colonies. The
terraformed planets are starting to get livable. The neutron star
RY-437 is discovered.
- Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere Foundation begins the
terraforming of Sun Tzu (Sigma Draconis I).
- Storm (Beta Comae Berenices V) is discovered by arabians.
A permanent research station named al-Chwarizimi is located to RY-437.
- An alien metric distortion detected at al-Chwarizimi.
Signals are sent, but the alien ship leaves the system. Massive
riots on New Frontier, the US Army is sent there to pacify the
- Look Outwards Combine builds a helium-3 extraction facility on
Beta Canum XIII. More than half of the Australian citizens live
in space instead on Earth, mainly due to the severe environmental
- The colony at Storm is attacked with antimatter weapons
and destroyed, as well as al-Chwarizimi at RY-437. The start of
the war against the Enemy. ICC, International Crisis Command
is re-instated and begins to organize the defense of humanity.
- Counterattack towards the Xi Ursae
Majoris-system, from which the Storm attack is believed to have
emanated. The installations in the system are efficiently destroyed,
but an ambush from hidden asteroid bases forces the fleet to
retreat. At a new attack the Beta Canum XIII base is destroyed, while
an attack on a mining project at 61 Ursae Majoris is repulsed with
heavy civilian causalities.